The Failing Church?

Why is the American church failing in its mission? First of all, it is not failing in all areas. In places hit by hurricanes, the churches of America have mobilized in a powerful way to help the hard hit areas. There are many towns where the church is still the most effective and redeeming force at work in that community. But the positive impact of the church does seem to be fading. A youth pastor posed the question to me, “So what about the Millennials?” The context of the question was the fact that Millennials as a whole are rejecting Evangelical Christianity. A few days later, I came across a lengthy piece on the internet where a former Evangelical Christian details the failings of

Clinging To ...

“I hate the work of those who fall away: it shall not cling to me” (NKJV, Psalm 101:3b). There is a group of people who see themselves as quite innocent. They may even see themselves as “noble” or “righteous” because they are the ones willing to stand up for a cause. In their own eyes, they are not “falling away,” but leaving out of principle. As a pastor, I get to live with the results of those who “fall away.” I had read Psalms 101 many times. The word “works” had never really meant anything to me. Last night, it jumped off the page. The “works” of those who fall away. Those who fall away don’t just create collateral damage. God describes it as “works.” They put time and effort in

Ego

It amazes me that after all these years of walking with God, even minor criticisms can still trigger my insecurity. Yes, I‘ve grown up. Yes, I can work through the sting and get to a healthy place. But why does it take so much energy? Over the weekend, I taught about what happens at a subconscious level. Scientists generally acknowledge that over 90% of what happens in “mental” activity happens at a subconscious level. In other words, we aren’t really in control of it. It just happens. That leaves less than 10% that we have some ability to control. Out of that 10%, much of that is controlled by ego. Ephesians 5:29 expresses that no one ever hates himself. What I take from that vers

  • Facebook

© 2020 by Live Free Ministries. Proudly created with Wix.com